I love lists! The illusion of having it all under control – neatly printed out and organized and checked off. It’s fun, and I invite you, if you haven’t already, to take stock of your audio progress…and do a little dreaming. Especially at the end of the year – the turning of the earth incrementally towards the sun and all of that – new possibilities and chances to once again – get it right. Or at least better…..
A few Audio Voicing Victories this year: I have
- Managed to deepen my knowledge of Pro-tools and have produced 2 books with contracts for 3 more through ACX . My enjoyment of reading books out loud has reasserted itself in tandem with my growing grasp of the editing technology.
- Tackled some audio tech issues that would have completely panicked me a year ago. It’s nice to track some incremental but definite progress.
- Discovered some real learning value in online networking sites, and my contributions and questions have been more frequent. I don’t like participating just to be part of the “noise”, and I stay away from sites that simply serve as self-promotion vehicles for audio artists. If I can’t really add value with a post, I’m fine with quietly learning from others, and I’m getting better about diving in and asking “stupid” questions! Check out Audiobook Voices Network as a great example of a value added site.
- Been blessed with steady voice coaching work focused in a variety of areas with terrific engaging clients – and the list is growing!
- Got an ipad for reading in the booth. And got it ON SALE! OK so it’s still in the box….. Getting that set up is on the list for…
- Just for fun…. I downloaded a free app called SonicPicsLite …. I can create audio haiku using photos and images – and the sound quality ain’t bad either!
2012 – Here’s some Voiceways I’d like to explore….
How to get some portability into my recording set-up. I’ve had some lovely opportunities to record oral histories with people in their 70′s and 80′s – something I set out to do early in the year to really hone my editing skills. Talk about mouth noise! But it has been delightful, and somewhat lucrative – to create multi-generational audio for families to enjoy…. I’d just like a more streamlined set-up than what I currently have….love some ideas!
Here’s my dream: I want to do regular audio narration/production for a magazine publication. And I want an opportunity to do that in 2012.
And of course, get a few more voice clients and get more audio work in e-learning programs, web promotion and commercials….
It all looks do-able at the start of the year doesn’t it?
May your holidays be filled with peace and joy – and your New Year full of Discovery!